Monday, August 3, 2009

Finally a new Blog post!

We haven't forgotten our lovely little blog, (Even though we haven't had a post in a month... Sorry)

This week we have a special blog post by one of our guest hosts, Chelsi. Let us know what you think of her post and we might include some more.

I will have a post up soon about some other stuff going on, as well as my experience in Adventures in Voice Acting.

Also one last thing, we will not be having the show next week, the second week in August, as both Tombstone and I will be out of town. Enjoy the post and our past shows to tide you over. Also listen to our friends at the Big Bald Broadcast at the thebigbaldbroadcast.com and listen to our promo on their episode 115!

Your intrepid host,

Zach Jenkins
(And now a word from Chelsei)


Hey all you Webertainment Weekly fans! This is Chelsi, a big fan and frequent guest host on the show. I'm here to let you in on some of the fun concerts and films I've seen in the past few days.

Last week I actually had quite an awkward experience involving the movie The Ugly Truth, starring Katherine Heigl from Grey's Anatomy and Gerard Butler from 300. My Mother invited my husband and I to go see this movie with my two aunts and my uncle, all whom are in their 50's. I was not expecting the movie to be as grown up and adult as it was. The Ugly Truth is rated R and although it was a very funny movie which I thoroughly enjoyed, I couldn't quite get past the awkwardness of sharing those funny moments with my older family members.

Gerard Butler plays Mike, a guy who gives other men advice about women on a cable show. Katherine plays Abby, a successful producer of a local news network. Their stories collide when Mike is hired to work on Abby's network and they don't get along. He has a foul mouth and she can't believe his lack of manners. Things get tricky when she tries to impress her hot neighbor next door and is forced to enlist Mike's help. With his knowledge about what men are truly attracted to as well as his successful boosts to her confidence, she is able to get the man of her dreams. The only problem is that it turns out to be someone she least expected.

This movie is fun and warm hearted. It plays on the differences between men and women. I truly enjoyed it. I just suggest going with an open mind for language and no older parents or relatives ;)

The other movie I was able to see was Funny People, starring Adam Sandler and Seth Rogan. Adam Sandler plays George Simmons, a retired comedian who finds out that he is very ill and on the verge of death. He decides to revive a stand up comedy tour and hires Seth Rogan, who plays Ira Wright, as his assistant. At first Ira is thrilled, but after a few days of dealing with a sick person he sees the harsh truth of who his idol comedian really is. This movie is about life and the hard times we all seem to go through. It shows us that there are lessons in everything, from being a person dying to being a caretaker.

I thought this was the best performance I've seen from Seth Rogan yet. He was funny as usual, but was able to play a very serious role, making it both believable and easy to relate to. Other actors who really added to the comedic timing were Jason Schwartzman and Jonah Hill of Superbad fame. Newcomer Aubrey Plaza who plays love interest Daisy was also someone I was impressed with and am looking forward to seeing in future films.

The writer/director Judd Apatow, who has written, directed and produced everything from Talladega Nights to the 40 Year Old Virgin really put a lot of his own life and story into this film and it really paid off. Leslie Mann is his real life wife of 12 years and plays Sandler's love interest. Apatow even used his two daughters in the film who are very adorable and hilarious. All in all I felt the film was worth seeing and was very well put together.

The last thing I wanted to mention is something I've been really psyched about, The Twilight Concert Series in Gallivan Plaza. These concerts are free and so far have been beyond stellar. Granted, it gets very crowded and if you decide to go you should be forewarned that early arrival is the only way to get a seat on the lawn or in the plaza. The sound is amazing at all points however. Some of my favorites this summer have been Bon Iver and Jenny Lewis from Rilo Kiley fame as well as M. Ward who is in a band with actress Zooey Deschanel called She and Him. Seriously amazing shows. Last week Sonic Youth visited and it was fantastic.

Some upcoming bands are Iron and Wine with Okkervil River, two of my favorite bands. They will be here August 20th. You won't be sorry. Its totally free and there is food, fun, and amazing tunes.

Thanks again for listening to the show!
Chelsi

No comments:

Post a Comment