Monday, August 31, 2009

Captain America Grows Mouse Ears to Replace His Wings!

Hello Kiddies,

Tombie here. Blogging about a business deal isn't the norm here at Webertainment Weekly. We are used to ranting about whether or not we liked a new film, or bashing Lindsay Lohan's latest exploits. As a collective, Zach, Chelsi, and I don't sit around and discuss the money spending of billion dollar corporations. Today is a little different.

Disney is going to buy Marvel. You may or may not know this already. Hopefully you do. Today I am going to free associate. Hopefully some of my thoughts will make sense. If you want to know some of the business details of the aquisition, you can find them here

Disney tells you about it here

Once upon a time, Marvel had a rough time and declared bankruptcy. They returned as the powerhouse of comic book companies. Movies of our favorite characters were only speculated about before the bankruptcy. Today they are a dream come true, even if we don't always enjoy them.

Once upon a time, Marvel's best talent walked out of the company and started Image comics, because Marvel wouldn't give creator's any royalty rights to their characters. Disney cares more about the licensing of their characters than any other corporation I can think of. Will new and upcoming talent want to work for the new Marvel?

Will Marvel be given the same freedom to create their projects that Pixar is given? If so, then this potentially could be a good deal.

No offense, but I don't want to see a costumed Wolverine running around at Disneyland. Nor do I want a roller coaster called the "Spider-Man." It's perfectly ok for Six Flags to use the DC Comic/Warner Bros gang.

A collaboration between Pixar and the Marvel characters could be very cool. The recent line of animated Marvel movies have been some of the hidden treasures of the last couple of years.

Paramount will continue to distribute the Avengers line of movies. Marvel studios has pretty much owned the ability to make the films. Every comic book fan is worried about Disney pictures getting involved too much in the production process. Although "Race to Witch Mountain" is a pretty cool film, it is still a kids film. I mention this one because we don't know when and where Disney will interfere with Marvel studios, and if they will try and make a kids movie, or a real film. No one knows if Disney can stay true to the Marvel history.

No one knows if this new family will get along. I can guarantee though that fans of Marvel feel like they just got a gaggle of unwanted step-brothers and sisters. Hopefully, we can beat up on them for awhile before we decide if we like them or not.

Hopefully my thoughts raised some questions to look out for. The world of comics as we know it is going to change, and again Marvel will be at the forefront of the pack. Who knows if it will be good or bad.

Hopefully I have given people some things to think of, even though I didn't mention the comic side too much. Comics are still my secret passion, and I am hoping that $4 billion dollars doesn't impact my life too much.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you in hoping there are no characters running around DL and films that are actually films, with grit in them. Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think many people agree with me. If any of you have concerns other than the ones I have previously mentioned...please feel free to leave them in the comment section...have a nice day my friends! Tombie.

    ReplyDelete