Thursday, August 27, 2009

We are back & with new stuff!

Hey guys, we are back from our week vacation! I enjoyed the cruise and Tombstone was out somewhere. We are back and we have some news! We have made Chelsei an official co-host! Below is another blog from her. But be sure to download the podcast, comment on our blog and give a review for our podcast on iTunes. You the listeners can talk to us and help us out! With out further delay, Chelsei's post!

Before I went to see the new Quentin Tarantino edition Inglorious Basterds I had to mentally prepare myself. Having seen many films by this well known director, I wanted to make sure that I was ready for the task that lay ahead of me. I did this by looking past the iconography so commonly associated with Tarantino and focused on the very unique aspects of this particular film. In short, I went into this movie pretending that I had never viewed Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Reservoir Dogs or Kill Bill v. 1 & 2. With that kind of mindset I really was able to look past the idiosyncrasies or predictability that I’ve come to expect from this director and I came out absolutely loving the film.

The scene is World War II in Nazi occupied France. Brad Pitt plays Lt. Aldo Raine, a hillbilly from the back hills of Tennessee who seems to view the killing of Nazi’s as revenge for their crimes as an art. His character brought humor to the film when it was needed and the director used this comedic timing wisely. Aldo’s tribe of followers, a special unit working for the C.I.A. are the most intimidating and astounding force to shake Hitler’s confidence since the beginning of the war. This film shows a scared Hitler grasping at his power with desperation which element is especially amusing.

One particular actor which has done mostly German films but made a huge impact on the general premise and feeling of this story was that of Christoph Waltz who played Col. Hans Landa. His way of weaving evil and likeability was stunning as well as haunting and may be responsible for the shaping of the films entire plot and I daresay success.

Diane Krugar was gorgeous in this film and her performance was equally enjoyable. Newcomer Melanie Laurent, a French actress who played Shosanna, was astounding in character and my personal favorite. BJ Novak from the Office, as well as Mike Myers and others make short appearances in the film. The only draw back was the graphic nature of the fight scenes, some of them too in your face at times. This is to be expected of war films. Samual L Jackson did some small narration and Harvey Kietel had a couple of lines which reminded me that I was watching a Tarantino film after all, but I was able to look past that quite easily.

Tarantino does not offer his audience a reason for the misspelled title or an apology for the completely inaccurate ending to the film. He offers his viewership a way to feel justice for the atrocities of the Third Reich and their actions during the 1940’s. Although it is all fictional, as a viewer you may find yourself cheering the whole way through and even feel a sense of relief at the end, despite its far fetched nature. If you saw Tom Cruise’s Valkarie and were as unsatisfied as I was, this is a film that definitely makes up for that sense of longing.

The soundtrack was superb as per usual and the defining moment for me was the use of the David Bowie song "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)"at the crux of the movie. If I had never seen Pulp Fiction I’d say this was the best use of Quentin Tarantino’s mind yet.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment