Friday, May 8, 2009

Star Trek

Review: Star Trek

It's Tombie again folks, with your review of the new Star Trek film. Let's jump right into the review. The movie is beautiful to watch. The special effects are beautiful and all of the visuals enhance the story. The story is based around a group of time traveling Romulans who are seeking revenge on Spock. Without spoiling too much, I will say that the end result is mishap with the space time continuum.

If you are a non Star Trek fan, you will absolutely love this film. It has a great story, and blends comedy, action and drama into a fun film. There is just about every kind of action scene you would want in a film. There are aliens and monsters, there are space battles, there are hand to hand combat (including swords) and there are gun battles (phasers), essentially there is something for everyone.

If you are a fanboy or girl and can't handle any changes, however slight, you will not enjoy this film. The changes from the original lore work well with the storyline of the film, but also allow for modifications to the Star Trek canon as future films will progress. Being a fanboy, I will say this, J. J. Abrams took a big risk with this film, but overall I think he hit a homerun. The film has it's flaws, but they were so small that I didn't care. For fans of the original show there are a few things that were weird to watch, but I don't want to give anything away here...a hint would be to keep Spock and Uhura in mind. I also had a hard time thinking of Scotty without any hair ( I love you Simon Pegg and you were wonderful, but it is weird to see an almost bald Scotty). Anton Yelchin's accent for Checkov was pretty pitiful, but humorous at the same time.

One of my biggest complaints was the score. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't epic enough, and wasn't memorable enough. It didn't necessarily scream Star Trek to me. Many people don't realize how important music is to a film, but if I mention the original Star Trek, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman, or Rocky we all know what their scores sound like. It did disract from the film a bit.

As a fanboy, I loved (again I won't mention specifics, cause I don't want to spoil anything too much) the line that was stolen from Star Trek II. It was well placed and brought the Kirk-Spock relationship full circle from the orginal series and movies to the new film. I also enjoyed that much of the movie is centered on Spock's conflict between logic and emotion. It was also nice to see a young Kirk who is confident, but not yet THE Captain Kirk. I think this aspect of his character leaves much for the film franchise to develop in the future films. It will be nice to see how Captain Kirk becomes the Kirk of Legend...and I enjoyed Bruce Greenwood's portrayal of Captain Chistopher Pike. He was the man of the show, and is definitely the Pike that Fanboys can be proud of. Fans of the original show will love how Bruce Greenwood's portrayal will align with original lore- He was Kirk's mentor.

In the end, go watch the movie. I agree with the advertisements for the movie-This isn't your father's Star Trek. It will, however, appeal to everyone. I am flirting with a 3 and a half or 4 star rating. If I absolutely love it after my second time...then it is definitely a 4...and you know I am going to see it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment